Thursday 14 July 2011

Jdanddiet's Top 100 games - Part 1 - 100-91

So this is it...Jdanddiet's favourite 100 games, retro, recent or otherwise...

It's a list that is constantly in flux as I try out more games new and old. This is how it stands today however, starting with entries number 100 to 91.

Please don't forget, dear reader, that this is Jdanddiet's favourite 100 game list, not a definitive top 100 games list - so please no complaints along the lines of "I can't believe you didn't include..." - as I probably haven't played it!

Let's go!

100.Golden Axe (Sega Megadrive)
I'll be honest and declare I have never played the arcade parent yet I got Golden Axe with my first Megadrive and was instantly hooked. It's still good for a bit of hack and slash every now and then, especially in two-player mode.

99.Nemesis (Arcade)
With memories of the awful ZX Spectrum version conveniently forgotten, Nemesis (or Gradius to you non-UK people) was my shooter of choice in the arcades in the mid-eighties. Its power ups were cool and it was just so damn playable. God knows how many 10p's of mine it ate.

98.Universal Soldier (Sega Megadrive)
A blatant rip-off of Turrican 2, which I've never played, so here is the version by Ballistic that was doctored to tie in with the Van Damme movie. Still a great game with some fantastic music.

97.Sea Battle (Mattel Intellivision)
This two-player only Intellivision cart was simple yet huge fun, especially when played against "competitive dad"!

96.Hypersports (Sinclair ZX Spectrum)
I always much preferred this to the Daley Thompson games. Favourite event? Skeet shooting and the little winker...

95.Batty (Sinclair ZX Spectrum)
I hated Arkanoid but somehow Batty struck a chord with me. Maybe because it was free!

94.Halo (Microsoft Xbox) NEW ENTRY
Followers of this blog will know I only recently got into Halo and found it an entertaining and fast-paced shooter, despite its flaws. I don't like many console Fps' so it is a rare honour for one to feature in this top 100.

93.Cobra (Sinclair ZX Spectrum)
RIP Joffa. Along with all your other stellar achievements you also gave us the-best-game-ever-based-on-a-crap-Stallone-movie. Lovely scrolling and a finely balanced difficulty curve.

92.Gynoug (Sega Megadrive) NEW ENTRY
A horizontally scrolling shooter that has some inventive enemies and power ups.

91.Prince Valiant (Nintendo Gameboy)
It may seem an odd choice, but I was addicted to this game for a long time. Wander round the segmented landscape offing the various enemies one at a time with a selection of interesting spells. Kind of RPG lite, but perfectly suited to Nintendo's little wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment