Saturday 8 October 2011

Jdanddiet's Top 100 games - Part 8 - 30-21

030.Silent Hill (PS1)
A superb horror game to rival Capcom's Resident Evil series, Silent Hill fosters a creepy atmosphere that reminds you of when games could be genuinely scary. Strangely, I've never played the sequels, although I've heard the second instalment on the PS2 is pretty good.

029.Midnight Resistance (Spectrum)
How this fantastic run and gunner got squeezed into the Speccy I'll never know. Sharp, addictive and playable, I prefer this to the Megadrive version incredibly. What higher praise can I give to the coder, Jim Bagley.

028.Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast (PC)
One of the criticisms of the brilliant original Jedi Knight games was the poor lightsabre combat. This was addressed in the sequel, in addition to improvements to the rest of the game, and the results were pretty spiffy for any Star Wars fan.

027.Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
I'm Duke Nukem - and I'm coming to get the rest of you alien bastards! Yes, Duke may have lost some of lustre recently thanks to the insipid Duke Nukem Forever, but back in 1996 he was King of the world. Hail to the King, baby!

026.Outrun (Arcade)
The ultimate driving game in my opinion: slick, fast and playable. Has to be in that cab, however. The Spectrum version was rubbish!

025.Tron: Deadly Discs (Intellivision)
The Intellivision wasn't home to many classics but this was a superb arena-based game with a finely balanced difficulty curve.

024.Star Wars (arcade)
I challenge anyone who stepped into this cab in the early 80's, with your mates crowding round and Ben Kenobi echoing in your ears, not to have had a whale of a time.

023.Chaos (Spectrum)
Dear Mr. Gollop, just to let you know you were probably responsible for me failing my Chemistry GCSE! This battle of wizards introduced a random element (the spells you were given) and a host of tactical options. Like most of his games, it was best played with a friend, or even upto 7 friends in Chaos.

022.Rebelstar 2 (Spectrum)
Dear Mr. Goll- oh you get the idea. He improved upon the original with a steeper difficulty level and an interesting dual-layer mission. And it was still £1.99. Amazing!

021.Resident Evil Director's Cut (PS1)
The director's cut added little to the original game, but it was already a stonewall classic - just this was the version I played and the main reason I bought a Playstation. It had its flaws, but after a decade and a bit, this remains a hugely influential game.

1 comment:

  1. You should definitely give Silent Hill 2 a go..it's definitely my favourite in the series! Silent Hill - Homecoming on the 360 would be great too, if it wasn't for the fact they didn't include the option to invert your camera..thus rendering it impossible for me to play! :(

    ReplyDelete